Maintaining good oral health is often dependent on regular brushing and flossing your teeth. However, making at least two visits to the dentist per year is very important to ensure any arising problem is identified and treated on time. Also, some medical emergencies may be so painful that you will need quick access to a dentist. At Encino Dentist, we provide services including root canals, dental implants, tooth extraction, dentures, and fillings, among others. Our dentists are committed to providing residents with exceptional and quality dental service.
Overview of General Dentistry
General dentistry comprises a wide range of procedures, most of which are aimed at protecting your oral health. However, the general dentist will also advise you on ways you can use to prevent oral problems and carry out therapeutic treatment for already existing problems. Also, most dentists practice cosmetic dentistry, which improves the appearance of your teeth and smile. There are many teeth and oral issues that will require an immediate visit to a general dentist, including:
- Tooth sensitivity - This condition manifests itself as sharp sudden but temporary pain when the tooth is exposed to hot, cold or acidic foods and drinks. This is as a result of an exposed tooth root. There is not a specific group of individuals who are at risk of this condition; anybody is susceptible to it.
- Bad breath - Bad breath can be embarrassing and even cause you anxiety when interacting with others. Bad breath odors will vary depending on the underlying cause.
- Tooth decay - which is commonly known as cavities is permanent damage to the hard surface of the teeth through the formation of tiny holes. The pits are caused by long term buildup of bacteria in the mouth which eats away through the tooth. If not treated early, they are likely to affect more in-depth tooth layers ad cause severe pain.
- Periodontitis - This is a severe gum disease which damages the tissues as well as ones supporting the teeth. Poor oral health habits hormonal changes and medication are contributing factors to the development of periodontal disease. Also, deficiency of vitamin C and other essential elements in the body can increase the risk of developing gingivitis. This causes loosening of the teeth and loss.
- Teeth grinding or bruxism - This is a condition where you unconsciously clench or gash your teeth. In most cases, the problem is not very severe, but in extreme conditions, it can cause damage to the teeth and jaws as well as severe headaches.
Unlike the specialized dentists who treat specific dental conditions, a general dentist will provide you with a wide range of dental services including
- Preventive services – These are the instructions given by the dentist during your regular visits. The practices you are advised to adopt will help maintain good oral health as well as protecting you from potential complication
- Restoration services – When you visit Encino Dentist, the general dentist will examine you to find out the problem. Once it is diagnosed, you will get timely treatment to restore your oral health. The procedure and treatments you undergo will depend on the nature and severity of your problem.
- Cosmetic procedures – In general dentistry, you do not only get treatment for an oral or dental issue. The dentists also carry out dental procedures to help you improve your appearance. These [methods include tooth whitening as well as porcelain veneers.
Components of General Dentistry Treatment
When you visit Encino Dentist your general dentist may offer any of the following forms of treatment procedures;
The filling is a dental procedure carried out by a dentist to repair teeth that are damaged by either breakage or cavities. Filling of the tooth could either be made of amalgam, composite or porcelain. The amalgam filling is a traditional metal filling comprising of a blend of metals like tin mercury and silver. Once your tooth begins to decay, it is essential to get it washed and filled to prevent further damage.
On the other hand, composite filling resembles the color of the teeth and is mostly used for an aesthetic ad it comprises of glass and acrylic material. Porcelain filling blends in well with texture and color of natural teeth thus is preferred for cosmetic purposes. However, the procedure for inserting the two types of mixtures is the same.
Dental cleaning by brushing and flossing is a primary way to keep your mouth clean and maintain your oral health. The cleansing could be done at home. However, if you want to ensure all food particles and bacteria are completely removed, you can combine it with regular professional cleaning. A general dentist will use an ultrasonic device to dislodge tartar the use of scalars to fine-tune the cleaning. This will aid in the removal of small deposits from the smooth surface of the teeth.
After the scaling, the dentist will smooth the surfaces of your teeth using a gritty paste. Fluoride may also be used to strengthen the teeth as an additional measure.
Dentures are artificial teeth designed by the dentist to replace missing ones. Depending on the number of teeth you have lost, dentures will be created for you. These teeth replacements are attached to metal or plastic plates and fitted in the mouth. Some of the causes of tooth loss are severe periodontal disease. Losing a tooth may not seem so serious, but it can affect the realignment of other teeth in the mouth. Your jaws may also start losing its strength leading to atrophy. It is therefore important to consult an Encino Dentist to get treatment and replacement of lost teeth. The two types of dentures are:
- Complete denture - Full dentures will be constructed when you have lost all your teeth. These artificial teeth will replace the teeth of your lower and upper jaw. This type of denture is designed and worn after complete tooth extraction.
- Partial dentures - This type of denture replaces gaps of a few missing teeth and can be permanent or removable.
Root Canal Treatment
Each tooth has several canals that contain blood vessels that transport nutrients to the tooth. The tooth pulp can get infected from gum disease or chronic tooth decay. When this happens, it can lead to a painful abscess. An abscess can cause swelling headache, and swelling. Root canal treatment is a dental procedure that aims at killing the nerves of the tooth. Depending on the extent of the treatment you require, the tooth canal can take one to three visits to your general dentist. You will be advised to consider root canal treatment if:
- You have a tooth fracture due to physical trauma
- Experiencing severe toothache when chewing
- Swelling around the teeth
- Darkening of the gums
Dental implants are often metal frames surgically inserted in the jaw bone to enable the dentist to fix replacement teeth. The artificial teeth are stable because dental implants fuse with the jaw bone. However, the dentist will examine your jaws first since you require healthy gums and bones to support the dental implant. The types of implants considered safe are:
- Periosteal implants – These are implants consisting of a metal plate fitted below the gum. As your gums heal, the frame will be more fixed to the jawbone.
- Endosteal implants – These implants are surgically placed directly into your jawbone. A second surgery will be required to connect the post to the original implant where artificial teeth will get attached.
Even though permanent teeth are meant to last a lifetime, some circumstances would compel you to have your teeth extracted. Tooth decay is one of the reasons your dentist can advise you to get a particular tooth pulled out. Tooth decay can be corrected using root canal treatment, but if the condition is too severe, you may have to get the tooth removed.
Also, if a tooth needs to be corrected using root canal treatment, but if the condition is too severe, you may have to get the tooth removed. Where risks getting infected and affecting other medical procedures such as chemotherapy are high, extraction may be needed. If you want to get your teeth realigned, it will be challenging to do so in a crowded mouth. During your dental visits, your dentist may recommend extraction of some teeth to create space for the realignment.
Although getting tooth extraction is safe most of the time, it may transfer bacteria to the bloodstream. Therefore, if you have a condition which predisposes you to infection or complications after an extraction, you will be given antibiotics before and after the procedure.
Find a General Dentist Near Me
Oral health is of great importance since it affects our overall body health as well as your personal life and self-esteem. Regular visits to a general dentist are one of the ways that can help you maintain your oral health. Some people feel uneasy about making dental visits. That’s why you need to visit Encino Dentist where you will get comfortable, quick, convenient, and satisfactory dental care. Our dentists are highly experienced and well trained to provide excellent dental services. We offer preventive, restorative, reconstructive as well as cosmetic dentistry services to our customers. For dental advice and treatment in Encino, CA and its surroundings areas, call us today at 818-650-0429.